- Experience and intention of visiting Japan both high in Taipei and Hong Kong Growth in tourist numbers can be expected in Singapore, Metro Manila, Bangkok and Guangzhou
- Tokyo area far and away the area respondents would like to visit, but among those in Taipei and Hong Kong, , Hokkaido is tops
- In Japan’s tourist draw cards, aside from cultural and historical buildings,nature, food,and hot springs; seeing modern cities and shopping also rate highly. Over 70% intend buying at least one product.
To support marketing communication in the global market place, Hakuhodo has conducted its Global HABIT survey of sei-katsu-sha each year since 2000. Conducted in 35 major cities in Asia, Europe, the United States and South America, the survey polls middle- and high-income earners. We have analyzed data from the most recent Global HABIT survey (conducted in 2014) from a variety of perspectives to discover hints about potential opportunities in the global marketplace. For previous reports, please visit Hakuhodo’s website.
With a view to assisting the Japanese tourism industry, including the Visit Japan campaign, for this report we analyze sei-katsu-sha in 14 Asian cities who intent to travel to Japan. We also introduce data from the US (New York) and Brazil (Sao Paulo) for reference.
1.Taipei and Hong Kong high in both experience and intention of visiting Japan.
In Singapore, Metro Manila, Guangzhou and Bangkok, intention of visiting is higher than experience.
- Experience and intention of visiting Japan are both high in Taipei (experience: 61.5%; intention: 65.9%) and Hong Kong (58.3%; 61.1%), hinting at a sizable group of repeat visitors.
- Intention of visiting is higher than experience in Singapore (experience: 18.7%; intention: 39.5%), Metro Manila (3.3%; 38.3%), Guangzhou (2.7%; 29.4%) and Bangkok (0.9%; 24.0%). Growth in tourist numbers from these cities can be expected.
2.In Taipei and Hong Kong, Hokkaido is the No. 1 area respondents would like to visit. In other cities, Tokyo is far and away the No. 1.
- In Taipei and Hong Kong, where there are large numbers of repeat visitors, the No. 1 area respondents would like to visit is Hokkaido. This suggests a desire to see snow and vast wilderness areas, which cannot be easily enjoyed in those countries.
- Conversely, the Tokyo area is No.1 in the other 12 cities. The 14-city average score for the Tokyo area is also a very high 74.2%.
3.In focus of travel to Japan, Sightseeing cultural and historical buildings, Enjoying specialty foods and Seeing splendid natural scenery make up the top 3, while Seeing modern cities and Shopping also rate highly.
- The top 3 activities to do during a visit to Japan are Sightseeing cultural and historical buildings (72.6%), Enjoying specialty foods (71.8%) and Seeing splendid natural scenery (70.6%). These are followed by Relaxing at a hot spring resort (65.1%), rounding out the Japanese tourism hit parade. The desire to enjoy present-day Japan is also strong, as seen in Seeing modern cities (49.1%) and Visiting an amusement park (49.0%).
- Many respondents also name Shopping as an activity they would like to undertake during a visit to Japan. By product category, shopping for Clothes/fashion accessories (48.8%), Home appliances (41.5%) and Cosmetics, skincare & supplements (37.8%) making up the top 3.
4.Hints for measures to draw foreign tourists to Japan
- Those that intend to visit Japan are bigger fans of Japanese products than those that do not The difference between the two in terms of image of Japanese products is highest for Safe/secure (17.8 points). Since the ability to buy authentic (not counterfeit) products made in Japan is one incentive driving intention to visit Japan, the potential for shopping tourism is likely to be extremely high.
- Providing communication and tourism resources (experiential value) tailored to targets (those that intend to visit Japan) is vital It is crucial to pin-point the motivations of targets who intend to visit Japan and to provide tourism resources tailored to their needs, sending out appropriate communication and information in line with their motivations.
Click here for details